How to choose the proper technology in marketplace development – Can you build your digital business with only one language?
More and more novelties occur in real-time app development. For a new player, it’s usually quite difficult to decide what the proper technology for their marketplace would be. On the net, you will find plenty of information on how to build a well-performing marketplace, including the technology stack – a collection of all technological solutions used to build a marketplace or any other application. In case you’re in doubt on the proper language, or cannot sleep thinking about how to choose the best language – we’ve got you covered.
Keep reading to get an idea about what is the best technology for your marketplace development.
The Most Successful Marketplaces – What Technologies They Use?
Before making your decision, get inspired by the top digital marketplaces. Following into the footsteps of successful entrepreneurs is a good start to planning your idea.
Some say Uber is the app that changed the entire sector of economy. The most famous on-demand-taxi-ordering app uses React Native, as well as Express.js. Express.js is a Node.js web application framework, created to build server-side mobile apps. The framework’s main strengths are routing (an app’s functionalities) and middleware (the ways an app executes its functionalities). The backend is built in Python and Java though.
The Facebook Marketplace app uses React Native technology. Why? React Native is one of the most universal technologies. It suits both iOS and Android which enables you to spend fewer resources on separate development. Also, the implementation of the native code is quite effortless.
Perhaps not a titan yet, but a very important partner of BinarApps. We were asked to create a marketplace that offers a unique type of service: helping freelancers to get a commission from big companies. In this case, selling and buying is based on negotiating a contract. Graphiq acts as a third party that makes creating advertising quicker. It’s a unique tool for connecting creative industry professionals with companies that need their services.
Graphiq has quickly become one of Norway’s most innovative startups. BinarApps developers are responsible for the frontend and backend. We used GraphQL, React, Typescript, and Node.js.
As you can see, successful marketplaces often choose various .js technologies. One of the reasons is a great number o open-source repositories that are easily accessed by users. This might be a good tip for you before you make a final decision on what technology you should use. If you’re unsure, you can rely on us. At BinarApps, we’re going through the decision-making process with you through workshops, brainstorming, and simple everyday chats.
What to Consider While Choosing Technology to Build a Marketplace
Some rules are universal when it comes to building a successful marketplace. To start, identify the objective of your business. Define your potential users and your technological necessities. Then, you should pay attention to some details when choosing your technology for marketplace development. BinarApps always recommends to consider these four aspects before you decide to start the implementation process:
- The size of your project – sometimes a simple technology like WordPress is enough. However, if your dream is to create a sophisticated marketplace, you might need more than one (or even several) technologies at once. Remember though, it’s always better to start lean, and then extend or rebuild it instead of biting more than you can chew.
- Cost – it can be costly to build and maintain a well-performing online marketplace. You will both pay the team you hire (and the more experienced developers, the higher their salaries) and the cost of site maintenance – the site has to keep working all the time.
- Security – popular marketplaces are often exposed to the risk of hackers’ attacks, especially when your marketplace is cash-related. The safety of your potential users is of the utmost importance. Choose the technology that will enable you to minimize the risk as much as possible and have a team that knows how to react in case of a data breach.
- The team you hire – some technologies are more popular than others and some are less popular. The tides change almost every year. Ask what’s the development team’s strongest side, do they have specialists you look for or do they need to hire someone more experienced for your project. Make sure you choose the right people for the job.
What Technology Should You Use? Is Only One Language Ok?
If you want to create a simple marketplace website, there are many languages you can choose from. One is absolutely enough for programming. However, more expanded marketplaces usually use several technologies. Below you’ll find our recommendations – these 6 technologies have been top choices in the last few years:
- Ruby (Ruby on Rails) – a major supplier of web apps. It’s easy to learn and implement, yet powerful. If you want to get your website up running quickly and easily, Ruby will be your flexible and efficient solution.
- Java – one of the most popular programming languages. Perfect for server-side apps to video and mobile applications. It’s a very famous object-oriented language often used to build e-commerce websites. Works well on all types of browsers. Very powerful when it comes to debugging.
- Python – Python has frameworks for pretty much everything. Suits everything from web apps to data analysis. It’s highly efficient because of its enhanced readability.
- PHP – tons of power and tons of free-built modules you can modify. Highly scalable, functional and object-oriented language.
A detailed plan is a good starting point
In order to choose the one that will suit your needs and expectations best, you have to analyze many different factors. Choosing the right technology behind your online marketplace is significant for the project to be successful. It’s a daunting task but the right choice can contribute to your’s marketplace spectacular performance.
At BinarApps, we believe in detailed planning before we start the development process. Get in touch with us and ask about the BA Studio to help you design your marketplace.